About the fund
The fund will enable Scottish Museums to access the benefits of ongoing participation in Subject Specialist Networks by funding the travel and accommodation for a member of staff or speaker to attend a Subject Specialist Network event.
Any organisation that runs an Accredited museum in Scotland can apply.
Networks themselves will not normally be able to submit applications. The organisations for which participants work should apply for funding to send the participant to a Subject Specialist Network event. For networks wishing to apply to bring a speaker to an event in Scotland, an Accredited Scottish Museum should apply on the network’s behalf.
Bursaries of up to £500 can be awarded. Applicants will be required to name the staff member whose travel and/or accommodation is to be covered. There will be a maximum of two bursaries per individual staff member per financial year (April- March). Normally, we would not expect to fund more than one person from any one organisation to attend an event but there is some flexibility around this, please contact our grants Grants Team to discuss, contact details below.
When to apply
You can apply at any time. You must apply for, and receive notification of, a travel bursary award before you travel and in advance of booking your travel and accommodation. We will process your application within 3 weeks of receipt.
How to apply
Applications to this fund are now open.
If you wish to discuss any potential applications please contact our Grants Team at firstname.lastname@example.org or on 0131 550 4115.
Apply via MGS Online
You must be able to show that attendance will benefit the organisation or forum (if the application is for a speaker to attend).
What we can fund
- Reasonable travel and accommodation within the UK for staff from Scottish museums to attend events organised by recognised* subject specialist networks
- Reasonable travel and accommodation costs of bringing specialist speakers to recognised* subject specialist network events happening in Scotland
* there is an existing list of subject specialist networks that MGS can support Scottish museums to participate in (see the application form or the list on our website). If you are hoping to participate in a network that is not listed, please contact MGS to discuss eligibility.
In all cases we expect applicants to seek cost effective and environmentally responsible travel options. We will cover standard class travel and up to £100 per night for accommodation.
What we can't fund
- Travel to network events taking place outside of the UK. In some cases, this kind of travel may be eligible for Small Project Fund awards, please contact our Grants Team to discuss, contact details below.
- Attendance at any more than two events per individual staff member per financial year.
- Subsistence costs
- Costs of arranging a subject specialist network event
Our Grants Team are available on:
Telephone: 0131 550 4115